In order that injuries and/or accidents can be minimized, the following evaluation needs to be addressed and taken into taken into consideration prior to use, by both coaches and/or the user:
- Who might be harmed?
- Advice given or taken for controlling the risk?
- Further Control Measures?
- Finger, hair entrapment?
- Users and on-lookers should be warned about putting fingers in or around the flywheel, near pulleys and ropes. [A warning notice is already posted on the SpeedStroke GYM flywheel]
- Users and on-lookers should be warned about the possibility of being struck by the shaft.
- On-lookers must stay clear and out of the ‘no go’ [safe working] area and from the immediate vicinity of Ergometer.
- Users must use appropriate hand paddles and appropriate resistance for the paddler/user?
- Instruction should be given by a coach or responsible overseer and/or caution taken by the paddler/user, so as not to over exert themselves.
- Lifting and handling advice and training given when moving the Ergometer.
Exercise Induced Stress
- Users and or coaches must not pressure other users when using the Ergometer
- Caution with regard to over extending the exercise intensity or exercise duration and should be used- especially when not familiar with the Ergometer.
- Skin abrasions / blisters may occur – especially when new to the Ergometer.
- If these occur consult your physician or healthcare professional.
Slips and Trips
- All to Ensure floors are suitable, to located the Ergometer. If footwear is to be worn ensure it is suitable and adequate.
- Ensure that there are no items of equipment lying around that could lead to a trip.
- Ensure other training activities are kept at a distance.
Falling Off Ergometer
- Users Training in technique and balance given, beginners observed at all times.
- Ensure that the user locates themselves centrally on the board – [either the Padddleboard that is applied onto the base, or onto the base itself]. Always proceed with caution and use the Ergometer conservatively until the user is familiar with the Ergometer and its action.
- Users to ensure all adjustments, nuts and bolts are secure and functional prior to exercise.
- If a paddleboard is to be mounted onto the platform – ensure this is securely fastened to the platform with the straps provided- ensure always that any paddleboard is also located centrally on top of the platform to prevent “tipping”.